Please click on the image to view details
World History 101
"As anatomically modern humans learned how to harness the power of agriculture, they settled into cities, city-states, and, ultimately, nations. Within these social institutions they began to keep permanent written records, records that make up source material for a broader human story. We call that story history."
Does free speech have limits? Can torture be justified? Who is really in charge of your rights? Every day we are confronted with news of foreign governments who refuse to acknowledge liberties that we in the Western world take for granted. But civil liberties are nearly always under threat, no matter where you live.
Tom Head traverses the globe in order to provide a clear introduction to what civil liberties are and why they’re worth defending. From hate speech and modern slavery to wheelchair access, this handy guide offers a fascinating global history of civil liberties paired with inspiring advice on how to take an active role in their defense.
Six types of execution are practiced in the industrialized world, torture is openly sanctioned by America, and infringements of people’s civil liberties occur daily. Yet in 2005 only 61% of the British voting public chose to stand up for their rights.
Explaining what civil liberties are and why they’re worth defending, Tom Head shows how you can make a difference.
The Bible is the core document of Western civilization, the pinnacle of world literature, and the backbone of three major world religions. To know the Bible is to know the world--and, many say, to know much more than the world.
Yet those interested in learning more about this important work discover a surprising paradox: It is both widely discussed and widely ignored. The Bible is a formidable book, and many people love it from a comfortable distance but don't want to get too close.
The Absolute Beginner's Guide to the Bible will help you close that distance and experience the Bible as it should be experienced, as a vibrant, living, and vital collection of texts that are just as inspiring and full of life today as they were thousands of years ago.
Get ready to feel like an expert right away. Inside The Absolute Beginner's Guide to the Bible, you'll learn how to:
• Find a translation or study Bible that's perfect for you.
• Interpret difficult Bible passages, taking into account their literary features and historical context.
• Appreciate the Bible's breadth. As a literary work, it includes poetry, philosophy, folk tales, history, theology, religious law, and even erotica.
• Understand the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) as the deeply Jewish document that it is--and learn the approaches that rabbis have traditionally used to interpret scripture.
• Recognize the courageous missionary spirit behind the New Testament, a collection of documents, secret and illegal at the time, that would later shape the faith of billions.
(Although I was not credited on the cover, I was given full co-author credit on the title page.)